Saturday, November 26, 2005

New Research on Jewish Secret of Staying Awake

In an earlier post, I speculated whether there may be a connection between the line,
"The Guardian of Israel neither slumbers nor sleeps" and, I sleep but my heart is awake.

First I located where is found the line, which was new to me at the time, "I sleep but my heart is awake." It was found in Song of Songs. And the connection i found in Rashi's commentary:

2.
"I sleep, but my heart is awake. Hark! My beloved is knocking: Open for me, my sister, my beloved, my dove, my perfect one, for my head is full of dew, my locks with the drops of the night."
I sleep When I was confident and tranquil in the First Temple, I despaired of worshipping the Holy One, blessed be He, as one who sleeps and slumbers.
but my heart is awake This is the Holy One, blessed be He. So is this explained in the Pesikta (Rabbathi, ch. 15).
but my heart is awake The Holy One, blessed be He, Who is (Ps. 73:26): “the Rock of my heart and my portion,” is awake to guard me and to favor me.

I shall ponder more on this later.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?